I am a content strategist, managing editor, and experienced writer and writing coach. Please connect if you would like to work with me on journalistic projects, corporate and organizational storytelling, or evolving your literary writing. See my resume below (for my creative resume, look under the creative writing menu tab).
COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER ▪ STORYTELLER ▪ CONTENT STRATEGIST ▪ EDITOR ▪ AUTHOR
I take content to the next level. I am strategic journalist and compulsive noticer who has created, directed and promoted compelling content and communications programs. When organizations need a head-turning multimedia storytelling project or highly trafficked content brand campaign ― they come to me. I have blasted off successful digital content programs and lit a match under audience engagement. With a strong foundation in journalism, I’m fluent in marketing strategies, metrics, social media, CMS and SEO. I quickly build rapport with stakeholders to successfully tell their stories in credible, exciting ways.
My mission is to create and drive successful, one-of-a-kind content programs that showcase the inspiring and intelligent work of brands and organizations I believe in, and through this work engage audiences and motivate actions for good.
Specialties: Chief storyteller, editorial and communications strategy, long-range and daily editorial content planning, managing content and communications teams, social media management, marketing campaigns, blogging, magazine and news publishing (digital & print), copy editing, trend-spotting.
Topics of expertise: Technology; jobs and careers; global health; literary and performing arts; family health; data/demographics; criminal justice; education.
Communications Manager | Managing Editor – Microsoft (Prowess), 2016-present
As the Managing Editor for Microsoft’s Employer Branding team, I help drive an editorial and content strategy that showcases how employees live the Microsoft culture and future employees and curious outsiders perceive it. On our culture storytelling team, I develop, edit, and write original feature stories for internal and external audiences on topics ranging from artificial intelligence to global health advancements, and career growth to product development, that illuminate the fascinating ways people at Microsoft are evolving technology and improving the world. To ensure a robust, unique, inspiring, and ever-evolving culture story, I plan and maintain a content calendar, project manage editorial and creative workflow, and coach a team of writers, photographers, and graphic designers.
Executive Editor, ParentMap magazine & parentmap.com, 2012-2016
SNAPSHOT: Built a digital content program that tripled traffic across all channels in 24 months. Direct all editorial strategy and oversee owned and social media for digital and print products, including magazine, blog, email newsletters, marketing materials and corporate communications. Manage a team of editors, producers and freelance writers to deliver inspiring, trustworthy, highly trafficked content that helps experts share research and news and helps parents better navigate and enjoy their families’ journeys. Build marketing campaigns for live and social media events, lectures and book launches. Manage editorial calendar and all aspects of content discovery, production and publishing, from story assignment and editing to crafting the voice that allows ParentMap to connect with parents in a Puget Sound doctor’s office waiting room and in communities across the world.
- Set editorial program for daily website and blog content and 18 print magazine issues a year.
- Act as a key steering-level company manager to shape brand and execute strategic editorial and marketing campaigns.
- Built and manage in-house editorial and digital production team of seven and a freelance roster of 50+ writers.
- Use analytics and social media and email marketing metrics to assess and optimize content success.
- Manage editorial budget driven by KPIs and goals for product ROI.
- Direct a daily menu of digital content that includes articles, video, social and marketing material.
- Oversee search engine optimization across digital channels.
- Guide online content discovery and user experience, and select signature rotating top-level content on website.
- Manage social media channels, including content selection and promotion, partnered projects, brand campaigns and analytics review.
- Conceptualize visual design, select art and images, guide product aesthetic.
- Craft marketing content for live lectures and events, social media engagement, email newsletters, video program, media kit and special products and campaigns.
- Write highly trafficked articles and commentary on health, science and social issues topics.
- Act as a brand representative and community connector at community events, including the ParentMap-hosted Parentelligence lecture series.
- Increased digital traffic by more than 300 percent 2013-2016 across channels.
- Built a highly functional editorial calendaring process and growth-driven culture.
- Grew brand recognition via audience acquisition, conversion and retention.
- Launched a menu of new content products, including video, social media contests, and special series that have broadened engagement and generated new revenue.
- Lead a complete website redesign and rebranding to improve UI/UX and increase revenue opportunities. Serve as project manager and main liaison between design and dev team and ParentMap creative content, sales and events teams.
- Won more than 35 Parenting Media Association awards 2012-2016, including five Golds for website general excellence.
Author, Content Strategist, Writer, Editor, Speaker, 2012-present
I am a content strategist; freelance journalist and content creator; editorial and storytelling consultant, author; blogger; essayist; em-dash admirer.
I report and write news and narrative profiles for freelance clients including The Seattle Times, The Washington Post, the Harvard Law Bulletin, the ACLU, and University of Washington; I have blogged at ParentMap, Huffington Post, and Mamapedia; I have worked as a content strategist for news magazines and as a legal researcher and commentator for InSession (formerly Court TV), I publish literary nonfiction essay pieces in journals and anthologies; I edit copy and content on a project basis.
I developed “J School in a Day” workshop, which launched in 2016 with the Society of Professional Journalists Western Washington. Drawing writers, marketers, subject-matter experts, and academics from around the region, the workshop teaches the basics of journalistic storytelling from a panel of experts and helps attendees assemble their own tool kits to help tell better stories in their work.
I developed and lead the “How to Pitch An Editor, Not Piss Her Off” workshop at media and writing conferences, universities, and organizations to help marketers and others be most effective pitching content and stories for earned media.
I am the author of “California Calling: A Self-Interrogation,” released March 1, 2018 from Hawthorne Books. The book won First Runner Up in January 2017 for the Red Hen Press national nonfiction book contest, and I was a finalist in Fall 2016 for the Autumn House Press national book contest. I am a contributing author to the 2015 YA anthology “Love and Profanity: A Collection of True, Tortured, Wild, Hilarious, Concise, and Intense Tales of Teenage Life.”
Jobs and Careers Columnist, The Seattle Times, 2011-2012
Blogged weekly at The Seattle Times NWJobs Career Center Blog about sticky workplace issues, work/life balance, employee hacks, market trends and self-employment. Helped drive traffic by providing well-written, niche content infused with voice.
News Reporter, The Seattle Times, 2002-2008
SNAPSHOT: Nimble and organized storytelling within a fast-past, daily news publishing environment. Expertise in research methods, reporting, writing, sourcing, data analysis, social media cross-promotion and community engagement.
> Criminal and social issues reporter
Covered King County Superior Court, the state’s largest criminal court. Tracked and wrote content about major criminal cases and civil trials. Followed precedent-setting cases to the state Supreme Court. Covered mental-health and social issues.
> Transportation, growth and government reporter
Covered transportation on the Eastside of the Puget Sound area, one of the most congested regions in the West.
Demographics and Government/Politics Reporter, The Desert Sun, 2000-2002
Reported on immigration, the Coachella Valley’s booming Latino population, the gay and lesbian community, aging issues, low-income families and growth. Led Census 2000 coverage. Manipulated and interpreted raw data and analyzed research to find trends.
Issues Reporter and Editorial Coordinator, San Francisco Independent, 1999-2000
Covered public health, film, art and theater; compiled and edited arts and events calendar.
Reporter, Union Democrat, 1999
Covered government, the forest beat, cops and courts and general assignment at this Northern California daily newspaper.
Board member, Society of Professional Journalists Western Washington, 2015-2017
Teacher/Mentor, Pongo Teen Writing, 2015-2016
- IN NW social media summit 2015-2017
- Doe Bay Writer’s Retreat, 2014, 2015
- Wild Mountain Writers Retreat, 2013
- Mom 2.0 conference for women in media, 2013, 2014
- MediaNEXT, 2012 and 2013
- PNWA Conference 2013-2016
- Parenting Media Association conference, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Social Media One Night Stand, 2013
- National Writers Workshop, multiple years
- Multiple Hugo House classes, Seattle
- Writers on the Sound, 2010
- Northwest Writers Conference, 2008-2010
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, Calif., “Law School for Journalists”
- Western Knight Center for Specialized Journalism, Los Angeles, Calif.
- National Press Foundation, Washington, D.C., “Our Aging Society”
- Pew Center for Civic Journalism, Pasadena, Calif.
- Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, Fla.
Masters of Arts, Creative Writing, University of Washington, 2016
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism, San Francisco State University, 2000