STORYTELLER ▪ CONTENT STRATEGIST ▪ INFLUENCER
I am strategic journalist and compulsive noticer with significant experience creating, directing and promoting compelling content programs. When someone needs a head-turning multimedia storytelling project, successful content marketing or brand campaign, or informative newsletter or blog program built ― they come to me. I have blasted off successful digital content programs and lit a match under social media audience engagement. I’m fluent in marketing strategies, metrics, CMS and SEO. I quickly build rapport with stakeholders to help tell their stories. Others see me as media maven and quick wordsmith; I think of myself as a collaborative content leader with Canadian roots, a global outlook and a Pacific Northwest sensibility.
My mission is to create and drive successful, not-seen-anywhere-else content programs that showcase the inspiring and intelligent work of brands and organizations I believe in, and through this work motivate actions for good.
Communications Manager, Microsoft, present
I work as the home page and Inside Stories editor for MSW, Microsoft’s internal news portal used by more than 120,000 employees worldwide. I select and curate owned and earned content daily and help drive a broader content strategy focused on helping employees live the Microsoft culture. As editor for MSW’s storytelling program, I develop, edit and write original feature stories on topics ranging from artificial intelligence to product development that illuminate the fascinating ways people at Microsoft are evolving technology.
Executive Editor, ParentMap magazine & parentmap.com, 2012-2017
SNAPSHOT: Built a digital content program that tripled traffic across all channels in 24 months. Direct all editorial strategy and oversee owned and social media for digital and print products, including magazine, blog, email newsletters, marketing materials and corporate communications. Manage a team of editors, producers and freelance writers to deliver inspiring, trustworthy, highly trafficked content that helps experts share research and news and helps parents better navigate and enjoy their families’ journeys. Build marketing campaigns for live and social media events, lectures and book launches. Manage editorial calendar and all aspects of content discovery, production and publishing, from story assignment and editing to crafting the voice that allows ParentMap to connect with parents in a Puget Sound doctor’s office waiting room and in communities across the world.
- Set editorial program for daily website and blog content and 18 print magazine issues a year.
- Act as a key steering-level company manager to shape brand and execute strategic editorial and marketing campaigns.
- Built and manage in-house editorial and digital production team of seven and a freelance roster of 50+ writers.
- Use analytics and social media and email marketing metrics to assess and optimize content success.
- Manage editorial budget driven by KPIs and goals for product ROI.
- Direct a daily menu of digital content that includes articles, video, social and marketing material.
- Oversee search engine optimization across digital channels.
- Guide online content discovery and user experience, and select signature rotating top-level content on website.
- Manage social media channels, including content selection and promotion, partnered projects, brand campaigns and analytics review.
- Conceptualize visual design, select art and images, guide product aesthetic.
- Craft marketing content for live lectures and events, social media engagement, email newsletters, video program, media kit and special products and campaigns.
- Write highly trafficked articles and commentary on health, science and social issues topics.
- Act as a brand representative and community connector at community events, including the ParentMap-hosted Parentelligence lecture series.
- Increased digital traffic by more than 300 percent 2013-2016 across channels.
- Built a highly functional editorial calendaring process and growth-driven culture.
- Grew brand recognition via audience acquisition, conversion and retention.
- Launched a menu of new content products, including video, social media contests, and special series that have broadened engagement and generated new revenue.
- Lead a complete website redesign and rebranding to improve UI/UX and increase revenue opportunities. Serve as project manager and main liaison between design and dev team and ParentMap creative content, sales and events teams.
- Won more than 35 Parenting Media Association awards 2012-2016, including five Golds for website general excellence.
Journalism Speaker, Teacher, 2012-present
Teach a variety of journalism, nonfiction writing and social media topics to university and adult students and conference attendees.
Jobs and Careers Columnist, The Seattle Times, 2011-2012
Blogged weekly at The Seattle Times NWJobs Career Center Blog about sticky workplace issues, work/life balance, employee hacks, market trends and self-employment. Helped drive traffic by providing well-written, niche content infused with voice.
News Reporter, The Seattle Times, 2002-2008
SNAPSHOT: Nimble and organized storytelling within a fast-past, daily news publishing environment. Expertise in research methods, reporting, writing, sourcing, data analysis, social media cross-promotion and community engagement.
> Criminal and social issues reporter
Covered King County Superior Court, the state’s largest criminal court. Tracked and wrote content about major criminal cases and civil trials. Followed precedent-setting cases to the state Supreme Court. Covered mental-health and social issues.
> Transportation, growth and government reporter
Covered transportation on the Eastside of the Puget Sound area, one of the most congested regions in the West.
Demographics and Government/Politics Reporter, The Desert Sun, 2000-2002
Reported on immigration, the Coachella Valley’s booming Latino population, the gay and lesbian community, aging issues, low-income families and growth. Led Census 2000 coverage. Manipulated and interpreted raw data and analyzed research to find trends.
Issues Reporter and Editorial Coordinator, San Francisco Independent, 1999-2000
Covered public health, film, art and theater; compiled and edited arts and events calendar.
Reporter, Union Democrat, 1999
Covered government, the forest beat, cops and courts and general assignment at this Northern California daily newspaper.
Board member, Society of Professional Journalists Western Washington, 2015-2017.
- IN NW social media summit 2015
- Doe Bay Writer’s Retreat, 2014, 2015
- Wild Mountain Writers Retreat, 2013
- Mom 2.0 conference for women in media, 2013, 2014
- MediaNEXT, 2012 and 2013
- PNWA Conference 2013
- Parenting Media Association conference, 2012, 2013, 2014
- Social Media One Night Stand, 2013
- National Writers Workshop, multiple years
- Multiple Hugo House classes, Seattle
- Writers on the Sound, 2010
- Northwest Writers Conference, 2008-2010
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, Calif., “Law School for Journalists”
- Western Knight Center for Specialized Journalism, Los Angeles, Calif.
- National Press Foundation, Washington, D.C., “Our Aging Society”
- Pew Center for Civic Journalism, Pasadena, Calif.
- Poynter Institute, St. Petersburg, Fla.
Masters of Arts, Creative Writing, University of Washington, 2016
Bachelor of Arts, Journalism, San Francisco State University, 2000